Befriend Ed: Goal Setting

Dec 07, 2017

Have you ever felt as though life is an infinite ocean, and you’re just a ship wandering endlessly, lost and directionless? Have you ever walked home, only to find the house a little too quiet? Or what about friends and families? Maybe life is too much, and you don’t spend enough time with them?

Goals can come in many different forms, but if you don’t take any steps, they can only exist in your mind. So instead of imagining them, try taking a minute to outline a concrete plan to achieving them. 

STEP 1: Set a long term goal!

It’s the easiest part of the process, and you’ve probably done it already. Since it’s the “big picture”, it’ll probably take awhile to get there. Let this long-term goal inspire you and encourage you to work towards it.

STEP 2: Break it down!

Now that you’re imagining what it’ll be like achieving those goals, it’s time to break those goals down to little chunks. You might even want to have a medium-term goal. This’ll allow you to progress steadily towards the big one. 

Here’s an example:

Long-term:    I want to have deep and meaningful friendships.

Medium-term:     I will find and join a social group within 3 months.

I will attend 3 social activities every month.

I will set and record a monthly budget, and allocate $ 100  for social outings.

Short-term:    I will spend 30 minutes practicing my conversational skills every day.

I will make a friend in my yoga class this week.

I will find 4 things in common with this person.

Now, admittedly, that might sound as though you’re a robot. But the point is to create a concrete plan by being S.M.A.R.T. E. R. Oh what’s that you say?

S - Specific

M - Measureable

A - Attainable

R - Realistic

T - Time-bound

E - Evaluate

R - Reevaluate

It’s important that you word those sentences in a motivating way. Instead of saying, “I should...”, say, “I will…”! Whenever possible, use numbers to limit your goals so that they are achievable.

STEP 3: What are you waiting for? GET STARTED!

One last tip: consistency, not intensity. Be willing to work consistently for a long time, than work hard for a short time. Life’s a marathon, not a sprint.

If you’d like to learn more about goal settings, Katie has set up a session about achieving friendship and relationship goals. Learn more here: http://bit.ly/2iYeILz If you can’t make it to the session, no worries! We have a worksheet for you to set your goals in the link below :D